Engineering classes were taught at KU since 1869, first in Fraser Hall, then the Powerhouse, then Fowler Shops, and finally in old Blake Hall. In 1908 four University buildings were under construction to meet the needs of 2,000 students, and this engineering building was one of them. It was designed so that floors were supported on the load-bearing walls of the main corridor. Room partitions could thus be changed as needed, making every cubic foot of the floor space usable. The new Collegiate Gothic structure was immediately named Marvin Hall to honor F.O. Marvin, son of Chancellor James Marvin and dean of the School of Engineering since its founding in 1891.
After the engineering school moved to Learned Hall in 1963, the newly organized School of Architecture resided in Marvin Hall, but the building was unsuited to its needs. The building was totally renovated and reopened in 1982 at two-thirds the cost of a new building, a notably successful adaptive re-use venture for students, professors, and architects. In 1981 Marvin Hall was rededicated to both James and F.O. Marvin.
West end of Jayhawk Boulevard |
John F. Stanton, State Architect; interior arrangement by Dean F.O. Marvin
Manhattan Construction Co., George E. Hopper and Sons, Manhattan, KS
Oread limestone quarried near site, squared; trim of Silverdale stone
Oread limestone, squared
Red composition tile behind parapet; gable, cross gables and finials at ends
Cut and tooled limestone lintels and pointed arches, sides and lugsills; belt course over lower-level windows
Flat arch, brick; decorative panels
Entry:Three stories; four fluted Ionic columns surrounded by cast-iron architrave and decorated pediment
Gould & Evans
DiCarlo Construction, Kansas City MO