Home News Landmarks Projects Books Advisory Board Join Us! Contact Us


This Week in
KU History

The University
of Kansas


Spooner Hall
Spooner Hall, the sixth building to be erected at the University of Kansas, is a Romanesque structure in two colors of stone (Oread limestone quarried onsite and imported Dakota red sandstone) and sits proudly atop Mount Oread with a beautiful view over the valley to the east.

Carol Shankel and Barbara Watkins bring together photographs and documents that trace the building from its construction in 1893 to its current use, highlighting the many colorful personalities associated with the building along the way. Their book celebrates not only the building’s architectural richness and importance, but also its changing roles. (order)

Making Do & Getting Through
This book chronicles the development of residence halls, houses and cooperatives at the University of Kansas in Lawrence from the early years through the building boom following World War II.

Tracking the painful, and frequently humorous, evolution of differing living styles at KU drawn from the reminiscences of more than 900 residents. By Fred McElhenie. A portion of proceeds benefit the Historic Mount Oread Fund and Fred McElhenie Scholarship. (order)

Historic Mount Oread
Architectural facts and historical information for thirty buildings and landmarks on the University of Kansas campus are presented in a handy reference book. 2nd edition, 2001, black and white photographs. Paperbound. By Sandra Wiechert. (order)

On The Hill
3rd Edition, 2007. 30 New Photographs and a New Chapter bring the KU story up to date. Hardcover. This rich collection of photographs spans 125 years, two world wars, the Great Depression, the turbulent 60s, and everything in between. More than 400 images depict the growth and changes that took the University of Kansas from a small collection of buildings on a treeless hill to the major educational center it is today. Compiled by Virginia Adams, et al. (order)

Old Fraser
From the Historic Mount Oread Friends, a nostalgic and bittersweet history of Fraser hall, built in 1872 and demolished in 1965. Sixty-five black and white photos. Hardcover. Photos and period quotes document one of the stateliest buildings ever on the KU campus. Compiled by Carol Shankel and Barbara Watkins. (order)

Elizabeth Miller Watkins was the greatest benefactress of the University of Kansas. Her innovative vision for a women's scholarship hall was the first of its kind in the nation. Watkins Hall, built in 1926, and its twin Miller Hall, in 1937, are striking examples of architecture influencing behavior. Elizabeth's letters show how she conceived, designed, and even decorated her halls for her girls. Read about the evolution of student life and customs of the times in these two halls, as they reach ninety and eighty years of age. The story is told in the words and photos of the women who lived in them from 1926 to the present. Hardcover, 72 pages.(order)

Dyche Hall
A centennial history in photos and text of the building and the Natural History Museum which has been housed in Dyche Hall since 1903. (order)