In 1906 the carpentry shop was still in old Fraser Hall under the registrar's office where all the University records were kept. Because fire was a constant threat, Chancellor Frank Strong requested that a separate fireproof stone or brick structure be built to house the plumbing and carpentry shops. The legislature appropriated $7500 and Buildings and Grounds erected the building that summer.
In 1926 the second story and entry were added. These and later rear additions tripled the original size of the building. The foundry is gone, but the offices and shops for painting, plumbing, carpentry, engineering, and maintenance remain. Long range plans call for the shops to be moved to west campus adjacent to other current shops.
Behind Stauffer-Flint Hall off Sunflower Road|
E.F. Crocker, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, KU
Oread limestone, squared; rear additions have concrete piers and penitentiary brick
Gray composition shingles; hip
Engaged cast-iron columns; limestone lintels and lugsills
One story with hip roof; limestone segmental arch