Home News Landmarks Projects Books Advisory Board Join Us! Contact Us


Sandra Swanson Weichert's
Historic Mount Oread

Campus Building Directory

This Week in
KU History

The University
of Kansas

Budig Hall/ Hoch Auditoria
Named for Chancellor Gene Budig
and Kansas Gov. Edward W. Hoch

In 1925 the legislature granted the university $250,000 to build a combined lecture hall, concert stage, and basketball court for "Dr. Naismith's game." Collegiate Gothic in style, the building was patterned after one at the University of Michigan and had a seating capacity over 3,500. Hundreds of cement pilings were sunk to support over 300 tons of structural steel used in the hall's frame. In 1929 the building was named to honor former Governor E.W. Hoch.

Budig Hall After other sport and concert facilities were built, Hoch continued to be the site for enrollment, classes, lectures, large concerts, convocations, vespers, and the Rock Chalk Revue.

A lightning bolt struck the tiled roof on June 15, 1991, setting the building on fire. Onlookers will never forget the sights and sounds of the clay tile sliding and the steel twisting as the roof caved in within a half hour of the strike. Fortunately most of the walls remained structurally sound.

Under the leadership of Chancellor Gene Budig (and with the support of HMOF), the façade facing Jayhawk Boulevard was preserved and restored. Behind it a new multipurpose structure, with Collegiate Gothic exterior motifs and a modernistic interior, was built and dedicated as Budig Hall in 1997.

Back  Next

Budig Hall
Location: Jayhawk Boulevard

Occupied: 1927

Architect: Charles D. Cuthbert, State Architect Contractor Mont Green, Manhattan, KS; St Joseph Structural Steel Company

Levels: Three and a half

Exterior walls: Indiana limestone, cut and broken coursed on north fa¬ćade, white brick on other sides

Foundation: Reinforced concrete

Structure: Structural steel and penitentiary brick

Roof: Red clay flat tile; truncated hip plus end gables and two cross gables; crenellated parapet over two-story entrance

Window surrounds: Limestone pointed arches, lintels, and labels

Door surrounds: Three pointed arch openings separated by two-story engaged pilasters; end doors under ogee arches

Renovation architects: Glenn, Livengood & Penzler

Renovation contractor: R.D. Anderson, Topeka KS